03 March 2006

Pajama Party #2 - Bat-News

The Batman franchise has been trying for years to come up with a good title for a Bat-film. 1966's Batman: The Movie was simple and straightforward. I guess the main point was to differentiate the film from the TV show on which it was based. 1989's Batman took the approach followed by most of the superhero franchises to come with its title simply stating the name of the hero. This title was OK, but it was all downhill from there. 1992 brought the fairly generic Batman Returns, (by which this summer's Superman Returns may have been inspired. Of course Superman actually returns from somewhere.) by which they meant that Batman was "returning" to the cineplex. Next up was 1995's Batman Forever. I still havent figured out what that means. 1997 dropped the turd called Batman & Robin. This title may have been more appropriate for Forever, and even though the title itself is not that bad, the movie was abysmal. So bad was the movie in fact, that the planned Batman Triumphant got the axe. It is questionable that this title would ever have been given a real meaning since the movie was never made. This put an end to the "Batman insert random word" naming scheme. But the "Batman blank" trend was to continue.

2005 brought a new beginning to the Bat-franchise. While Batman Intimidation Game or simply Batman Intimidation were rumored titles, ultimately the akward Batman Begins was chosen. At least this time, the title made sense. And that brings us to this week's big news. The sequel to Begins is in its early stages, and rumors of a title are being heard. While early rumors meantioned were Batman Attacks, or Batman Continues (perhaps jokingly, but you never know with these folks), my early favorite was Batman Escalation. But it looks like the "Batman blank" titles may be over, as the uberoriginal Batman 2 seems to be a frontrunner. What I do like about this title is how it will certainly confuse people who still believe that, despite having seen both Batman and Batman Begins, Begins is a prequal film. Unless Bruce's parents were killed twice by different people, then its quite obvious that Begins is a reboot. Batman 2 will certainly distinguish this new series of films from the past, and I think most people will agree that is a good thing.

10 comments:

j said...

I loved Batman Begins. It was one of my favorites for this year. Its been so long since I've seen the Michael Keaton version that I can't say which I like better, but I'm leaning toward the new one.

I always say that the problem with the original sequels is that they kept adding more and more characters to each film. Batman was just Batman vs. the Joker. Batman Returns was Batman v. the Penguin v. Catwoman. Batman Forever was Batman and Robin v. Two-Face and the Riddler. Batman and Robin was Batman, Robin, and Batgirl v. Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy, and Bane. You can't have a coherent plot and try to have 6 main characters.

Batman and Robin of course had all kinds of problem, ranging from Ahhnold's portrayal of Mr. Freeze as Mr. One-liner to the fact that all of a sudden, Batman and Robin could fly across rooms. When did that happen?

I hope that the new incarnation of the series stays at the high quality of the first volume.

Chip Chief said...

I sort of agree with you about overcrowding, but Begins had Scarecrow, Ra's Al Ghul, and Carmine Falcone. Not to mention, a Wayne Enterprisers power struggle subplot. It just depends on how they use them. I would have liked to see more scarecrow, but it was nice for once to have a film were the villains didnt monopolize screen time.

From what I have been resing, the sequel is going to be fairly crowded as well. Hopefully they maintain agood balance.

j said...

Yeah, they did a good job of keeping a coherent plot with lots of characters who've played bigger roles in the comic books.

I did also like the focus on Batman instead of the villains. My only question is: Is that suit really tight in the neck? Or is he just trying to disguise his voice? Cuz he sounds like he's choking when he talks as Batman.

Aaron Kamauu said...

I, too, liked Begins better than the others, although it would be interesting to go back and watch them again. The main thing I liked about it was that it seemed more realistic and less dark than the others. Eventhough, in the other movies you knew that batman was using technology to enable his semi-super powers ... in Begins you actually see some of the technology and where it comes from ... and you start to believe that it all is really possible.

I haven't read anything about 2, but I'm interesting in how it turns out. I hope it is more like Begins than the others.

Bunny Dee said...

Yep, Batman Begins restored my hope for the Batman franchise... It was much more true to what the character actually *is like* in the post-Crisis comics, and it really worked as a film as well.
Possibly my favourite comic book movie after the X Men series. Although I'm one of the freaks who actually enjoys Raimi's spideys as well, but I can't compare them really...

The next one is probably going to be along the same lines, from what I've heard so far... I just hope they film part of that one here in the UK too, so I can beg to get a glimpse of it ;)

Chip Chief said...

i am excited for batman 2, but i hope they still show a lot of bruce wayne. the first half of begins, in my opinion, is flawless.

also, its going to be tough , with all the versions of joker out there, for the actor to own the part. heres hoping.

Adam said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Adam said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Adam said...

It's rumoured that the person tipped to play The Joker (if they use him) in the next film, will be Michael Keaton, which would in some way make the next Batfilm a Batman vs. Batman faceoff.

Personally, I'd like to see either Mark Hamill or Crispin Glover play the Joker. Mark Hamill (aka Luke Skywalker) provided his voice in the Batman cartoons, & Crispin Glover (aka Back To The Future's George McFly) has the look of the guy, especially whan you consider his performance in the recent Willard re-make.

Time will tell if they decide to definitely use The Joker next, & who will end up playing him.

Chip Chief said...

I think Keaton would be sort of distracting. but mcfly would be an intersting choice. i have also heard rumors of johnny depp, and lachy hulme... though i doubt depp is for real.