21 May 2006

B.O. Derby

In the face of rotten reviews, Da Vinci sucked up a ton of box office bucks this weekend. Over the Hedge did not quite make the dough I expected, but with Memorial Day next weekend, expect both of these films to get an extra boost. As it stands, Poseidon is pretty much out of the race, and doubtful to make it to the 100 mil mark in spite of its $160 million budget. Next week, X3!

As it stands:

4)Poseidon - $36,778,000
3)Over the Hedge - $37,228,000
2)The Da Vinci Code - $77,000,000
1)Mission: Impossible III - $103,201,000



My Top 9 Predictions


9) Lady in the Water - $160,000,000
8) Poseidon - $175,00,0000
7) Mission: Impossible III - $205,000,000
6) Over the Hedge - $220,000,000
5) X-Men: The Last Stand - $225,000,000
4) Cars - $260,000,000
3) The Da Vinci Code - $275,000,000
2) Superman Returns - $325,000,000
1) Pirates of the Caribbean 2: Dead Man's Chest - $350,000,000

6 comments:

Dark Tyler said...

So, how was this in terms of predictions? Was it expected to do around 75,000,000? Also, M:I-3 did something like 20mil. this weekend, if I count correctly? Cause if it did, then it's not too shabby for a third weekend of a 45mil. opening, eh?

Sorry for the many questions, it's just that I want M:I-3 to do well and DaVinci to, well, not. LOL.

Chip Chief said...

77 million is pretty impressive ESPECIALLY after so many negative reviews. I think it was expected to get about 70 mil before the reviews came in. the bad news for you is that da vinci will probably have another decent week over the upcoming holiday. also, da vinci was a international hit too scoring an additional 150 million abroad. =(

M:I 3 actually made about 11 mil this weekend, and about 7 mil over last week mon-thurs. i think there is still hope for a 150 mil finish. probably not as much as hoped, but still a fair run.

Dark Tyler said...

Yeah, I'm kind of a mental case, because I'm going to see it in about three hours (LOL). But I see everything, so. Too bad, though. It's been some time since a really bad movie (as I fully expect it to be) was the biggest B.O. success. Could Superman pull it off and earn more? Here's hoping!

Chip Chief said...

you will have to let me know how it was. also, i really believe Pirates will outearn Da Vinci in the end.

Dark Tyler said...

I hope Pirates will make more. Do we expect DaVinvi to have any legs whatsoever? The movie was awful and nobody liked it! Before going to see it I thought "20% at Rotten Tomatoes? Come on, that's a little harsh" and now I'm like "who is the one person out of five who liked it?" (LOL)

It was overstuffed, boring and predictable. Just like the history lesson you wanted to get out of in school, so that you go out and play, or something. A summer blockbuster without action; that's gotta be a first!

Chip Chief said...

well, my mom liked it (which puts her in the 20%). and my mom's endorsement is as good as any indication that the film is awful, as she also loved sahara and catwoman.