05 May 2006

Pajama Party - Marvel-ous Movie Slate

Just after last week's deadline, a slew of Marvel movie news was released. Leading the pack was the announcement that Jon Favreau will direct Iron Man. First off, I have never been much of an Iron Man fan, but from my understanding, he is sort of an alcoholic Batman, with higher tech toys. He traditionally wears red and gold armor and can fly, but Tony Stark, the billionaire inside the armor, is a mere mortal. There is also a black and white dude that looks like iron man, but I guess his name is War Machine. I am not sure of his connection to the Fe coated hero, but I am sure there is one. Anyways, Jon Favreau is a bit of a surprise. He directed the Christmas comedy Elf, and also the unseen, but decently reviewed Jumanji clone Zathura. Does that qualify him to direct Iron Man? Apparently so. Look for filming to begin early next year for a 2008 release.

Marvel also announced the continued development of Hulk 2 as reported last week, Ant-Man, Thor, Captain America, and Nick Fury agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. I think Iron man will probably be a success, and Hulk 2 can be also depending on how much it makes. After that, we are sort of pulling heroes off the bench. Captain America really needs to be done right to avoid being a big cheese fest. Ant-Man could succeed as a sort of adult version of Honey, I Shrunk the Kids. Thor and Nick Fury will have the toughest go. Thor is sort of an oddball guy and a good adaptation would be costly, so I would be nervous to finance that one. Fury on the other hand is a guy that I have just never cared about. He is basically an eye-patch wearing spy. Wupee. I think I could pass. But I won't pass judgment on any of these until a little more is known about them. Then again, a Fury adaptation has to be better than the 1998 TV Nick Fury movie starring Mr David Hasselhoff. On top of all these, there is also a Wolverine, Magneto, and possibly a third X-Men spinoff coming as well.

In other news, it has been mentioned again that the Silver Surfer may appear in the Fantastic Four sequel. This would really elevate the movie to another level. I didn't love the first film, but as a fan of the genre, it was fairly enjoyable. Dr. Doom was a real missed opportunity, but Galactus could really up the ante. I don't know how I feel about the Surfer. I have never been a huge fan, and the fact that he "surfs" through space is pretty hokey. On the other hand, he looks pretty sweet, and has a compelling background. I just hope F4-2 doesn't get too cosmic. Its hard to belies that F4-2 comes out in a little over a year. They better get the ball rolling.

Last but not least, as promised, I will offer a few thoughts on the new Superman Returns trailer. It looks promising and beautiful, but there does not appear to be a compelling plot (at least for me). I like Spacey as Lex, much less campy than Hackman, though still in the realm of diabolical villain. Just why o why does it always have to be Lex? I think even the Joker would get old if he was in every Batman film. And at this point the masses probably think Lex is Supes only enemy. What about Brainiac, Darkseid, Metallo, Mr. Mxypltk, Bizarro, Parasite, Prankster, Toyman or Doomsday? Only Zod got a chance to shine, and he was awesome! Really though, my least favorite parts of the preview are everything about Lois. She is just too young in general, and really too young to have a kid that old, and I don't like the fact that Clark has to deal with being a home wrecker. Also, didn't Lex already raid the fortress of solitude in Superman 2? Well, I will still definitely see the film, hopefully in IMAX 3-D. As I said before, the film looks gorgeous, and that plane crash scene intense, so count me in. No matter what I would as soon miss this film as kneel before Zod.

5 comments:

scottd13 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
scottd13 said...

Ironman = excellent! fav comic, behind batman, growing up.

Furious Peter Hon said...

Hey Rico! Just thought I'd post (there isn't a message feature that I can think of. I blame mySpace for that crutch).

Anyway, On Superman, I hear rumors of Metallo making an appearance (my guess is something of a "guest villain" to Lex's main role). Hopefully, Superman Returns will be a great movie. Oh please let it be great....

Chip Chief said...

it would be cool for metallo to appear! supposedly if there is a sequel, there will be other bad guys. maybe they will be introed here. i really want this film to be great too. batman begins made me think it could be, but everything i have read about the plot makes me nervous. it seems like a pseudo remake of superman 1/2 with many of the exact same plot elements but without zod and with some lame kid. at least superman 3 didnt have a lame kid... oh wait, nevermind :)

j said...

And don't forget Richard Pryor, and that awesome computer.