10 October 2006

Ink Blots XXXIII - 9


Believe it or not, I was going to review Monsters, Inc. this week. Then I realized that ironically, there really aren't any "monsters" in the film, at least not of the traditional variety. So I went ahead and reviewed a little known short film called 9. I guess it is also debatable if this film has any real monsters in it, but this is my review, and I make the calls. At least, this film is more appropriate for an October scary themed month.

9 was nominated for the Academy Award for the best animated short film in 2005. The 11-minute story is described as follows:

A mechanical beast attacks two rag doll creatures as they scavenge the ruins of their world. After witnessing the death of his mentor, 5, the rag doll, 9, must call on all its courage and confront this vile creature alone. Only through cunning and the use of his primitive technology can 9 hope to destroy the monster and steal the talisman of trapped souls it carries as a trophy.

I really enjoyed this short film. These creepy little burlap sack dudes live in a fascinating world that I would like to see more of, and the animation is superb even though the story is a tad lean. If rumors of a full length adaptation involving Tim Burton are true, count me as very interested. 9 earns a 9 (out of 10) or in grading scale, an A-.

You can check out a clip at the creator Shane Acker's site.

No comments: