09 December 2006

The 12 Days of Bookmas Countdown - #11

#11

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian - After Disney's Chronicles of Narnia film, I decided that I would like to dip back into my childhood an revisit some of the Tales of Narnia. I went with the sequel to Wardrobe, the currently in film production Prince Caspian. I was constantly thinking about how this will work as a film, and I am almost positive it cannot be as good as Wardrobe. The book starts by having the kids return to Narnia, only a thousand years later. That could be cool, seeing the deserted castle and overgrown lands, and watching their surprise as the realize where they are. But the rest of the tale is just not that captivating. There is a mutant rat Reepicheep, and some swordplay, but any epic battle in a movie is not to be found here. The other thing that I don't like is how Aslan just shows up to save the day whenever he feels like it. He lacks subtlety and lowers the stakes. Of the Narnia books I remember well, this is my least favorite.


Support SERVEwithCHIPS: Prince Caspian (Narnia)



Countdown So Far

#11 - The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
#12 - The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

No comments: