11 December 2006

The 12 Days of Bookmas Countdown - #9

#9

The Earthsea Cycle: A Wizard of Earthsea - A lot of times, when I hear about a movie I want to see, I rush to read the book first. Well, I heard that Studio Ghibli was making an animated Tales of Earthsea based on the third book in this series. Little did I realize it wouldn't be released in the US until 2009. Anyways, this first book is fair. Its a typical story of a young man discovering he is special and growing into a man. What is different is that in this story, the hero makes some major mistakes along his path. Its a little slow but has a cool ending. Overall, I liked it well enough to continue on in the series.


Support SERVEwithCHIPS: A Wizard of Earthsea (The Earthsea Cycle, Book 1)





Countdown So Far

#9 - The Earthsea Cycle: A Wizard of Earthsea
#10 - Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone
#11 - The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
#12 - The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

4 comments:

j said...

I often do the same thing (try to read the book before the movie comes out), although it has ruined a couple movies for me. Count of Monte Cristo stands out as one where I really didn't understand some of the choices they made.

Chip Chief said...

so, the reason that the animated earthsea isnt coming out until 2009 is that the scifi channel made an "original" miniseries titled earthsea in 2004 (or was it 05?). it was based on the first 2 books in the earthsea series. the minseries was ok, nothing great, though it did have lana lang and ice-man in it as well as danny glover. after reading these books, i realized that the mini was pretty true to The Wizard of Earthsea but it buthcers the second book. If I had read the second book before seeing the series, there is no way i could have even thought the show was ok.

Chips Ahoy said...

I'm just impressed that you read twelve books this year. I'm looking forward to the next update...

Chip Chief said...

well, the narnia books are so short, they should hardly count. but i am mighty proud of myself too. :)