09 January 2007

M. Night Shyamalanading-Dong's Next...

From Moviehole.net

Who on earth would give M.Night Shyalman money to make another movie? Are they ******’ nuts? I tell ya, my wife spewed in a pail at her work today… and that sounds more appealing than sitting through another one of Night’s atrocities. After “Lady in the Water”, the guy lost me. He so did. He got too cocky, too fast, and decided to take us all for a ride on his magic carpet ride of ****.

What he should be doing is making either a sequel to “The Sixth Sense” or “Unbreakable” (preferably this one – since it would make the most sense, and has been an idea he’s toyed with before), not trying to do something else original. His original ideas don’t amount to too much these days. He needs to win us back now, and as I see it, can only do it by giving us what “we” want. More dead people, right?

This is so funny, though. Night’s next movie will be a kid’s movie! Called "Avatar: The Last Airbender", it’s based on the popular Nickelodoen kids TV series.
The man has truly lost it. He goes from adult-oriented supernatural flicks like “The Sixth Sense”, “Unbreakable”, “Signs” and “The Village” to terribly fairytale fluff like “Lady in the Water”, and now, kids’ movies!?

According to Variety, Night has inked a three-picture deal with Par's MTV Films and Nick Movies to write, direct and produce the potential kids franchise.
Nick TV's "Avatar," which is set in an Asian-influenced fantasy world permeated by martial arts and magic, follows the adventures of the successor to a long line of Avatars who must put aside his irresponsible ways and stop the Fire Nation from enslaving the Water, Earth and Air nations.

Though Paramount have said to have registered the “Avatar” name, FOX reps say they can’t.
A 20th Century employee said, "We own the movie title 'Avatar.' There won't be another film called 'Avatar' coming from anyplace." What may work in this films favour is that “Avatar” marks the first time Shyamalan has taken on a project that didn’t originate from his own source material.


It's really a shame that Lady in the Water didn't perform better. I thought the movie was fantastic. And while I could understand why people may not love this film, I simply cannot understand why there was so much hate for the movie. If anything, there are not enough original stories in Hollywood nowadays. I will grant you that Shyamalan is a pretty cocky dude, but with his hit list, doesn't he have a right to be? And as long as he is happy, let him make whatever movie he wants. I would love to love my job.

Anyways, I am pretty excited about this news. Avatar: The Last Airbender is a surprisingly good little TV show. Its sort of an anime inspired show about dudes that can control the elements. For a kids show it has complex characters and a compelling continuing storyline. I have only seen the first season, but was quickly won over by the shows humor and action mix. It seems that giving the property to M Night is a bit of overkill, it will be interesting to see what he does with it, and his name will surly bring in new fans. Granted, I would rather see Unbreakable 2, this is better than him retiring.


Avatar The Last Airbender - The Complete Book 1 Collection

4 comments:

nØsØap said...

This is pretty cool. I have tons of respect for M Night. I've found most people who don't like his movies didn't get the point of them at all. They're very complex and I think most people expect another crap scary movie or thriller from him, but he's way more Hitchcock than that.

The fact that he's doing Avatar really excites me. It's about time some real accomplished film makers take on some of these gems and make them quality movies instead of cheap, fast, nearly direct to video money chasers. To think someone of M Night's talent is going to tell a story like this is very cool.

Eli the Mad Man said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eli the Mad Man said...

I'm with you guys. I've dug everything Night has done, some more then others, but still...

I don't get where all the hate comes from either. I just watched "Lady in the Water" a few weeks back and loved it. Great story, great writing... plus who doesn't like Paul Giamatti? The guy's a wonderful character actor.

Not too keen on this animated thing though, as Japanese Anime stuff just ain't my cup of tea. Which is odd since I'm into comic books and computer gaming (at the ripe ole age of 39). Just never liked the look of it.

I would like Night to do a follow up to Unbreakable, as I'm a huge superhero nutter. ;)

Shiro said...

Just saw Lady in the Water a week or so ago, (when it came out on DVD), and I thought it was fantastic, and so did my whole family! Some of these movie critics are stark raving lunatics.

My whole family's on board for his Avatar attempt as well. This show surprised me. I'm somewhat of an anime purist, (and also in my late 30's), and was expecting this show to be a cheap anime "ripoff", but it turned out to be a very good show. I'm very interested in seeing what Shyamalan is going to do with this...