02 January 2007

My Top 10 Anticipated Films of 2007

I talk about a lot of movies here but I am finally taking a stand to list which ones I am most looking forward to this year. Let me know if you disagree, or what SHOULD be on my list.

10) Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End - I think I liked part 2 better than a lot of people I talk to, but I don't know if I am up for another 3 hour pirate quest so soon. Still I do want to see how it all turns out.



9) Ghost Rider - I am a sucker for superhero films. I rush to see them all (except Catwoman which I still have not seen). I get particularly excited when one of the books I read as a kid comes to the big screen. I don't expect this one to make a lot of money, but I think the trailers have been great.




8) Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - I am a big fan of the Potter series, but what I really want to see is the 6th book on film. Book 5 was not my favorite, but perhaps the film can trim the fat. The last 2 have just been so good, I hope this one doesn't disappoint.




7) His Dark Materials: The Golden Compass - Could this be the next big fantasy trilogy in the making. Its got a strong cast with Daniel Craig and Nicole Kidman, and the book offers an intersting take on fantasy. Besides, did someone say armour wearing polar bears?




6) Transformers the Movie - The recent trailer bumped this one up for me. Could be sweet or it could be awful. But Michael Bay never skimps on explosions, and thats a good thing.




5) Fantastic Four: Rise of The Silver Surfer - I know the last one was subpar, but I still actually liked it pretty well for what it was. Adding the Silver Surfer to the mix was a brilliant move. So far, this one looks very promising. I am hoping this one outdoes the first like X2 upped the ante after the lukewarm X-Men.




4) The Bourne Ultimatum - These movies have been so good. I love James Bond, but the Bourne movies are so much more grounded. You really believe this guy is invincible. I expect plenty more shaky cam goodness and another great car chase.




3) Ratatouille - I love Director Brad Bird's Iron Giant and Incredibles movies. I am not completely sold on a movie about rats in a French restuarant, but Pixar hasn't let me down yet.




2) Stardust - My favorite book I read last year looks like it could be the next cult classic. A new Princess Bride if you will. I am keeping my fingers crossed on this one.




1) Spider-Man 3 - With the alien costume alone I was excited, but seeing Venom and the Sandman is gonna rock. The first 2 were great, and for a Spidey fan like me, I just know I am going to love this film.



9 comments:

Ben said...

DUDE! TMNT!!! I agree with most of your list but I've got TMNT way up there with Spidey. I'm also looking forward to Meet the Robinsons which seems to be the first real Disney/Pixar hybrid.

Chip Chief said...

I am looking forward to TMNT, but honestly, even with another spot on my list, I think The Simpsosns would still keep TMNT off the list. I hope it is great, at least good enough to make me forget about Vanilla Ice. The fact that I actually had so many films on my list is a good sign i hope. 2007 should be a good one.

As for Meet the Robinsons, I hope its a good one too, i hope Pixar has already been able to get disney back on track.

Dragulf said...

I like your list but #1 for me has always been Transformers. I swore when I was 14 if they made another movie I'd be there. I am 34 and I am so excited about TF's I can't sit still. I had a collection of over 450 of the toys, most still in their packages.

RayChase said...

You know I just watched Dead Man's Chest the other night and I definitely liked it more than the first time in theaters...once you get past the notion that its "different" then the first, the flick is pretty fun to watch.....

I'm a HUGE pirates fan and a HUGE Spidey fan so if I can only see 2 movies next year...they are it....

Chip Chief said...

so dragulf, where would a live action gobots movie rank for you :)

i think i would be more excited about transformers if i had never been heart broken by that terrible live action He-Man movie. But i really hope that Transformers is amazing.

toast said...

Spidey 3 tops my list wil Pirates being a close second.

Great list. However, I find it rather disturbing that half of these films are sequels. This will be the summer of sequels.

Chip Chief said...

is it just me, or have sequels gotten better over the years? Nowadays most films seem to leave the door open for a sequel, which can be annoying, but at least it gives the sequel a starting point. Thats what makes these sequels easier to swallow than a completely unnecessary Mr and Mrs Smith 2

Movie review guy said...

Well, I partially agree with your list. Pirates was a bit of a stinker, and Ghost Rider was God-awful. But Transformers, Ratatouille and Bourne were all great. Here are my picks for December 2007.

Chip Chief said...

nice list. i am mostly looking forward to the golden compass, but i hear good things about juno. i am legend may be big, but it just hasnt excited me yet.