12 March 2007

Double Dip Alert - Fantastic Four

I used to love these so called special edition DVDs, especially when they were for Superhero films containing extra scenes, and a great documentary about the history of the comic. But even I am getting to the point that I just do not care. Back it the good ol days of Lord of the Rings, I had the heads up that a better edition was coming. And painful as it was, I was able to hold off on my purchase to get what I really wanted. Those days are long gone.

Now, you can basically assume there will be a better version coming, especially where superheroes are concerned. Unfortunately, you don't know how long you will have to wait. In the case of Spider-Man 2.1, 3 years. That's a long time to hold off buying one of your favorite movies. On June 5, there is a new version of Fantastic Four coming to DVD. First off, those guys should be happy that anyone bought the first version... because it wasn't that good. How are we rewarded for our purchase? They want to see if we will come back for a second round of a slightly sweeter turkey.

The new DVD is 5 minutes longer and has new featurettes: "Heroes are Born: The Making of Fantastic Four", "Jack Kirby: Storyteller" and "The World's Greatest Comics Magazine".

As Mr. Horse would say, "No sir, I don't like it."


Fantastic Four DVD

4 comments:

j said...

Yeah, its seems like pretty much any time there's a sequel coming out, you can count on a "Special" version DVD coming out shortly before. So I would assume we can count on Superman Returns...Again! and Batman Begins: The "I'm Batman" version. Maybe even a Ghost Rider: "My Skull's on Fire" special edition with the big opening that it had.

Chip Chief said...

in fact, we know that many deleted scenes were intentionally helde back from the Superman Returns DVD for an unspecified purpose, (though Bryan Singer claims not for a DVD extended version -- yeah right). I think there has already been mention of a Ghost Rider extended version as well, after all Daredevil was one of the first of the genre to profit from two versions and the director is the same dude.

As for the "I'm Batman Edition" (nice idea by the way), this is te one is would probably enjoy the most, but I havent heard of much cut footage, other than maybe a more intense scarecrow when batman was drugged.

Anyways, the least these companies could do is offer a discount to people who already bought the movies once. But as is, they are biting the hand that feeds them.

j said...

Yeah, seems lame. I almost never buy DVDs right when they come out anyway.

I'm excited for the "Hulk Smash" edition Hulk Special Edition, and the "Professer X-rated" X-Men 3, or will it be "Storm Watch!"? or "I'm the Juggernaut, B****!" or "Hi, I throw wooden projectiles that come out of my wrists".

I could do this all day.

Anonymous said...

ahhh yes, Mr. Horse knew when shit stunk.