27 March 2007

Ink Blots LVII - Hellboy: Blood and Iron

After all, Blood is thicker than Water making Hellboy: Blood and Iron a stretch of a fit for Water Themed Month.

Just a couple months back, I reviewed Hellboy: Sword of Storms giving the adventure into Japanese folklore a B. This time, Hellboy trades rubbernecked forest monsters, and bouncing heads for vampires, werewolves, and a minotaur... not a bad trade. And with a the title "Blood and Iron" you probably expect some blood. Don't worry, there is no shortage.

This time, Abe, Liz and Broom are back, in a story that centers around the vampire Erzsebet Ondrushko, who likes to take baths in human blood. Although killed in 1939, efforts are being made to revive her. Not only that, but the goddess Hecate (to whom Erzsebet had sold her soul prior to death) is on the scene .

There is a ton of action in this film, and though I am not that familiar with Hellboy aside from his movies, I am enjoying his adventures. I do not really understand how Hellboy can carry a franchise (the third animated film is underway, and another live action film will hit next year) while characters like the Flash, Green Lantern, and Daredevil struggle to stay in the limelight. Still, I look forward to the next outing which promises to introduce Lobster Johnson, a popular character from the comics whom I know nothing about.

The animation here is passable, not really feature film quality, but the film delivers the PG-13 rating that the Marvel DTVs also share but wuss out of. With some swears, a dark story, and lots of gore, Hellboy: Blood and Iron improves over the last effort earning a B+.


Hellboy: Blood and Iron





Hellboy - Sword of Storms





Hellboy (Two-Disc Special Edition)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Simply awesome. And here I thought my generation was the first to master dry wit. Seems I was wrong. ;)

All the best, A
my site

Anonymous said...

Good Article