11 May 2008

Iron Man Drops the Bomb on Speed Racer


Once again Iron Man dominated at the box office earning another $50 million to total a $177 million cume. Not only does this put Iron Man in the #1 spot for the year thus far (eclipsing Horton Hears a Who!'s $151 million), but its is also significant that this Superhero flick dropped less than 50% from its opening weekend - a mighty feat for films of this genre in todays box office. Looks like my prediction of $210 million is gonna be way off. The Dark Knight has a tough competitor for the summer Superhero crown.

Also, there was bad news for Speed Racer which earned just around $20 million making it the years first large scale disaster.

Next week: Narnia will open big, and Iron Man will aim for another $25 million putting it over the 200 mark.

4 comments:

Shiro said...

When I went to Iron Man yesterday, (for the 4th time, incidentally), the three or four other people in line were inexplicably buying Speed Racer tickets, so I'm a little surprised, but gratified. Iron Man is my personal #1 superhero movie now, but I love 'em all, (well maybe not *all*), and I can't wait for The Incredible Hulk next! The Dark Knight looks incredible, too.

I don't know why, but I'm not that excited about Indy. I'm a 37 yo guy that grew up with these movies, but it's the superhero movies that are the most exciting for me now. Maybe because we didn't get that many good ones when I was a kid...

Chip Chief said...

I know what you mean. I remember when Indy 3 came out and I was so excited. I think I am just trying to keep expectations low for this one. The trailers havent really done it for me. When I was a kid, I used to watch Superman 1-3 like once a week. Todays kids are pretty spoiled to have such a library of good superhero movies. Even the lesser ones like daredevil and ghost rider are still fun for comic book junkies like us!

Shiro said...

Daredevil is one that I'm still kinda pissed got such a bum rap. I enjoyed it and thought it was reasonably true to the comics. Of course Favs' turn as Foggy didn't hurt. But seriously, besides a little excessive CG and the loads of pre-existent Affleck hatred, what was so bad about that picture?

I remember the advent of VHS in the early eighties, and yes, watching the first three Superman movies over and over and over... They were the best we had back then, that's for sure...

patrick said...

The Wachowski bros certainly put a lot of effort into making Speed Racer... the movie overall looked and felt like a cross between anime, a kaleidoscope, that Flintstones movie, a video game and the Dukes of Hazard